Butterfly Haven is a 501c3 nonprofit in St. Louis, MO. Butterfly Haven serves children impacted by Foster Care and families who have experienced a Crisis situation such as a house fire or the recent flooding that impacted the area.
what are we crafting?
Quantity Still Needed
Baby Burp Cloths
Blanket - Quillow
We are helping Butterfly Haven with several needs for their closet that helps families with children newly entering foster care as well as families in crisis. We are also helping them with bags for their food pantry. Patrons visiting their pantry often travel on public transportation and need sturdy, reusable bags to carry canned food items home.
Before beginning crafting for this charity, please read the project overview sheet here.
1. Tote Bags: Butterfly Haven will be using tote bags in their food pantry so patrons can easily carry their items home on public transportation. They've requested these bags be made from very sturdy fabric like upholstery, canvas or our bags made from a tarp.
2. Quillows- A quillow is a blanket or quilt that easily folds into itself to make a pillow! This concept has been around for a long time and is popular because it can be used as a soft and snuggly blanket but fold compactly to be a pillow when needed. Butterfly Haven would like to try a few of these to see if they meet their needs!
1. Baby Items- Bibs, Burp Cloths & Receiving Blankets. These are to help families with babies either in foster care or families in crisis that have lost everything. There are 2 main types of bibs to sew: ones for droolers and ones for heavy duty spitter-uppers that have a waterproof layer. Burp cloths are designed to go over the shoulder and we have 2 great patterns. Receiving blankets are typically 40"x40" and 2 layers of snuggly flannel. Check out our patterns or use your favorite!
3. Kitchen Items: Pot Holders, Dishcloths, Dish Scrubbies - Pot Holders can be sewn/knit/crochet. Dishcloths and Dish Scrubbies are knit/crochet. We have some great patterns or choose your favorite! All use 100% cotton yarn.
4. Bathroom Items: Wash Cloths & Face Scrubbies - Wash cloths and face scrubbies are quick items to knit and crochet using 100% cotton yarn. Use your favorite pattern or choose one of ours.
5. Hair Schrunchies- One of the most requested items in their resource room, they go through about 25 per month, they are requesting these in fun prints and colors for all ages of girls. Any pattern is acceptable, use your favorite if you have one. Ours is from Sew Very Easy and uses 1/4" elastic and makes 4 from a FQ and 40" of 1/4" elastic.
bibs and burp cloths
potholders and scrubbies
washcloths and face scrubbies
Whenever you have items ready to ship, they are ready to accept them:
Butterfly Haven Inc
8505 Mid County Industrial Drive
St. Louis, Missouri 63114
If your box will cost you more than $20 to ship, Butterfly Haven is partnered with Give Back Box to get you a $20 UPS label from Give Back Box and ship up to 50 pounds and 108" in girth to Butterfly Haven here.
Due to a computer glitch, they send out the same label with the same tracking number to every person and you can't use it. After you receive your label, please immediately email Monika at email@example.com and ask for a "fresh" label with an unused tracking number. You will get a new label in 1-2 days. This is the label you should use.