The Remissionaries is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization based in Las Vegas, NV. Founded by a breast cancer survivor/thriver, and aimed at helping women undergoing chemotherapy treatment for breast cancer. Providing a comfort crate at the beginning of or during treatment can help alleviate some common side effects of chemotherapy. A small gesture that can make a big impact in the life of a woman with breast cancer.
what are we crafting?
Quantity Still Needed
Mini Tissue Holders
Soft Cotton Beanies
Soft Scalp Washing Pads
Before you begin crafting, please read the Project Overview Sheet. There are lots of details for each item. Because you are crafting for patients going through cancer treatments, special care needs to be paid to the yarn you use, etc. Please ensure you have read ALL the details for the patterns and yarn choices before you begin!
1) Port Pillows - (Sewn/Knit/Crochet)-This project is fast and easy. We have one pattern for each crafty type that we have approved. We like this pattern because it has two straps to secure the pillow to the seat belt. We understand that there are many ways to make a port pillow, however this is the port pillow that has been approved for this project. Please follow this pattern for this partner. port pillows really need to be stuffed FIRMLY to be effective. Please ensure you are really stuffing your port pillows nice and firm!
2) Mini Tissue Holders - (Sewn/Crochet) This is a great scrap busting project! We have both crochet and sewn patterns available. Please ensure to check the seam allowance on the sewn pattern and to buy one pack of tissues to use at home to ensure your tissue holder fits a pack before you send it.
3) Pocket Prayer Quilts( Heart Hugs) - We will be constructing these with ONLY NON Religious hearts so they are non-denominational. The Remissionaries would like all of the pocket quilts they receive to have hearts attached so they can go to anyone, no matter their religious preference. You can use buttons, charms, be creative just ensure they are securely fastened. We have a thoughtful Project Overview Sheet put together by Kathy Lawrence for this project, please review! You can attach the poem yourself by laminating it, or know that we will send them a stack of ready to attach poems if you aren't able.
4) Quilts - (Sewn) A snuggly blanket is always appreciated by those going through chemo. They have asked for quilted cotton type lapghans and not fleece. We recommend a lapghan designed in your choice of pattern with two layers of quilting cotton, batting or fleece in the middle and a binding. They can be machine quilted, or ‘sew as you go’ strip quilts. Aim for a finished size of 36” to 45” wide by 60” to 70” long.
5) Lapghans (Knit/Crochet) for snuggling with during chemotherapy, no color restrictions, in fact The Remissionaries tells us they LOVE bright colors! Try for a finished size of 36” to 45” wide by 6” to 70” long. Any pattern is fine.
6) Soft Cotton Beanies -(Knit/Crochet) These need to be made with soft cotton yarn or cotton/bamboo yarn for patients going through chemo treatments. Make sure the ‘cotton’ yarn you use is 100% cotton and please do not use any ‘craft’ yarn. Our partner has requested NO polyester, so check the label as some of these brands have a “cotton blend” that looks very similar to all cotton. Choose undyed, or pale-shade yarn, to minimize the amount of dye in the yarn that might be in contact with sensitive skin. As you look at hat beanie patterns, please bear in mind that ones with a lot of ‘texture’ can be irritating to sensitive skin so try to keep your pattern as smooth and bump-free as possible.
7) Soft Scalp Washing Pads These are like a face scrubby, but need to be made from organic cotton worsted yarn, that stays soft for the sensitive scalps. Please choose undyed, or pale colors, so as to limit the amount of dye that may come in contact with sensitive skin.
Other Items they collect:
Inside the comfort bags The Remissionaries distributes, they include many easy to find items! If you have extra room in your box, maybe you will consider including a few or check around your house to see if you have extras laying around!
Fuzzy socks, puzzle books, lip balm, journals, small lotions, mini tissues, hand sanitizer, Ginger chews & cough drops, and reusable water bottles.
Project Overview Sheet
port pillow ~ heart hugs ~ tissue holders
quilts and lapghans
soft cotton beanies
soft scalp washing pads
The Remissionaries is happy to accept your donations when you are able to send it. Please include a Crafting Change Care Slip in your package and mail to:
6440 Sky Pointe Dr Ste 140-255
Las Vegas NV 89131
If your box will cost you more than $20 to ship, The Remissionaries is partnered with Give Back Box to get you a $20 UPS label from Give Back Box and ship up to 50 pounds and 108" in girth. After you receive your label, please immediately email Monika firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for a "fresh" label with an unused tracking number. You will get a new label in 1-2 days. This is the label you should use.