Leaving A Legacy
Raising Hope For Others is a local 501(c)3 with the mission to help community members offset overwhelming medical costs. We are specifically helping them with their Leaving A Legacy project.
The Leaving a Legacy project was created in 2017 as a memorial to Patrice Berman's beloved husband, Eddie. Patrice, the Founder of Raising Hope For Others, took her grief and turned it into this project. His giving spirit and compassion for all is reflected in their comfort bags. The charitable bags are given for free to anyone in need of comfort. This serves a local need, bringing neighbors together to support each other during trying times. The contents of each bag are specifically chosen to meet the needs of its recipient.
what are we crafting?
Quantity Still Needed
Bags for Kids
Chemo Cap/Scarf Set
1) Pandemic Relief Masks - Leaving A Legacy would like to put a mask in each bag. These masks need to be 2 layers with a filter pocket or 3 layers. The 3rd layers needs to be a non-woven material like polypropylene. This location prefers elastic ear loops to ties. The CDC recommends nose wires in masks, as do we. We recommend that these are removable, so when they break, they can be replaced and the entire mask does not get tossed. Leaving A Legacy reports to us that they mostly need masks in smaller more petite sizes.
2) Tote Bags (Sewn) - We have many variations of tote bags that will work for this project, please review our project overview sheet first before starting your tote bag so you have an idea of what this partner charity is looking for. You can find this easily in our pattern section below. This location will accept most any tote bags that are approximately 16x16 in size and we are looking for a wide variety of fabrics to appeal to men, women and everyone in between! They also need a few in fabrics for kids. Leaving a Legacy reports to us that their favorite tote is Two Tone Fabric Tote or The Crafting Change Taco Tote
3) Port Pillows - (Sewn/Knit/Crochet)-This project is fast and easy. We have one pattern for each crafty type that we have approved. We like this pattern because it has two straps to secure the pillow to the seat belt. We understand that there are many ways to make a port pillow, however this is the port pillow that has been approved for this project. Please follow this pattern for this partner. Leaving A Legacy reports back to us that port pillows really need to be stuffed FIRMLY to be effective. Please ensure you are really stuffing your port pillows nice and firm!
4) Mini Tissue Holders - (Sewn/Crochet) This is a great scrap busting project! We have both crochet and sewn patterns available. Please ensure to check the seam allowance on the sewn pattern and to buy one pack of tissues to use at home to ensure you holder fits a pack before you send it.
5) Cosmetic Bag - (Sewn) This little zip up pouch (or snap bag) is a fun project and we have several suggested patterns to make these up! You7 are welcome to use any pattern you like as long as it meets are general sizing guidelines. We are looking for cosmetic bags approximately 9"x7" If using the snap bag pattern for Leaving A Legacy, this partner requests that you box pleat the bottom so the bag can stand up. They also need some cosmetic bags in fun prints for kids!
6) Chemo Caps - (Sewn/Knit/Crochet) We have many wonderful patterns for sewing, knitting or crocheting up soft and comfortable chemo caps. If knitting/crocheting these caps please follow our approved/tested yarn list. It is especially important for the sensitive scalps of a patient going through chemotherapy to get the right kind of yarn. Our Advisory Board spends a lot of time testing yarns so you don't have to. Please trust that they have our recipients best interest at heart. We have a wide selection of yarns at every price point available on our approved list. List available below in our pattern section.
7) Sets - Chemo Cap/Scarf Sets (Knit/Crochet) If you are so inclined to create a matching scarf from the same yarn to go with your chemo cap, it would be so kindly accepted! This can be a loopy scarf or dropped stitch, it does not necessarily need to be super thick and snuggly warm. If you have a knitting machine, you can use a nice DK weight yarn, such as Hobbi Horizon and make a lovely hat and dropped stitch scarf set. (tutorial for scarf here: https://youtu.be/JXj5fDLaYko) For ideas or help, contact Robyn Robyn@craftingchange.org
*You can also sew one of our chemo cap patterns then knit/crochet a scarf in a matching yarn as a set.
8) Pocket Prayer Quilts( Heart Hugs) - We will be constructing these with ONLY NON Religious hearts so they are non-denominational. Leaving A Legacy would like all of the pocket quilts they receive to have hearts attached so they can go to anyone, no matter their religious preference. You can use buttons, charms, be creative just ensure they are securely fastened. We have a thoughtful Project Overview Sheet put together by Kathy Lawrence for this project, please review! If you have questions, feel free to contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org
9) Denim Backpacks - Leaving A Legacy is also putting together comfort bags for teens and young adults with cancer. These younger patients prefer backpacks and denim is the preferred style!
Other Items they collect:
Inside the comfort bags Leaving A Legacy distributes, they include many items that can be found at your local Dollar Store. If you have extra room in your box, maybe you will consider including a few or check around your house to see if you have extras laying around!
Chapstick, mini hand sanitizer, fuzzy socks, puzzle books, journals, small lotions, mini tissues, note cards, and reusable water bottles.
chemo caps - crochet
chemo caps - knit and sewn
port pillows and tissue holders
cosmetic bags and pocket heart hugs
Leaving A Legacy is happy to accept your shipment when you are able to send it. Please include a Crafting Change Care Slip in your package and mail to:
Leaving A Legacy
461 Tennent Road
Manalapan, NJ 07726
If your box will cost you more than $20 to ship, Leaving A Legacy is partnered with Give Back Box to get you a $20 UPS label from Give Back Box and ship up to 50 pounds and 108" in girth. After you receive your label, please immediately email Monika email@example.com and ask for a "fresh" label with an unused tracking number. You will get a new label in 1-2 days. This is the label you should use.