Leaving A Legacy
Raising Hope For Others is a local 501(c)3 with the mission to help community members offset overwhelming medical costs. We are specifically helping them with their Leaving A Legacy project.
The Leaving a Legacy project was created in 2017 as a memorial to Patrice Berman's beloved husband, Eddie. Partice, the Founder of Raising Hope For Others, took her grief and turned it into this project. His giving spirit and compassion for all is reflected in their comfort bags. The charitable bags are given for free to anyone in need of comfort. This serves a local need, bringing neighbors together to support each other during trying times. The contents of each bag are specifically chosen to meet the needs of its recipient.
what are we crafting?
Quantity Still Needed
Mini Tissue Holder
1) Pandemic Relief Masks - Leaving A Legacy would like to put a mask in each bag. These masks need to be 2 layers with a filter pocket or 3 layers. The 3rd layers needs to be a non-woven material like polypropylene. This location prefers elastic ear loops to ties. The CDC recommends nose wires in masks, as do we. We recommend that these are removable, so when they break, they can be replaced and the entire mask does not get tossed.
2) Tote Bags (Sewn) - We have many variations of tote bags that will work for this project, please review our project overview sheet first before starting your tote bag so you have an idea of what this partner charity is looking for. You can find this easily in our pattern section below. This location will accept most any tote bags that are approximately 16x16 in size and we are looking for a wide variety of fabrics to appeal to men, women and everyone in between!
3) Port Pillows - (Sewn/Knit/Crochet)-This project is fast and easy. We have one pattern for each crafty type that we have approved. We like this pattern because it has two straps to secure the pillow to the seat belt. We understand that there are many ways to make a port pillow, however this is the port pillow that has been approved for this project. Please follow this pattern for this partner.
4) Mini Tissue Holders - (Sewn/Crochet) This scrap buster is sure to be popular and we encourage you to tally just a few at a time with the other items you will be sending Leaving a Legacy to allow everyone to participate in making these fun little scrap busters!
5) Cosmetic Bag - (Sewn) This little zip up pouch is a fun project and we have several approved patterns to make these up!
6) Chemo Caps - (Sewn/Knit/Crochet) We have many wonderful patterns for sewing, knitting or crocheting up soft and comfortable chemo caps. If knitting/crocheting these caps please follow our approved/tested yarn list. It is especially important for the sensitive scalps of a patient going through chemotherapy to get the right kind of yarn. Our Advisory Board spends a lot of time testing yarns so you don't have to. Please trust that they have our recipients best interest at heart. We have a wide selection of yarns at every price point available on our approved list. List available below in our pattern section.
chemo caps - crochet
chemo caps - knit and sewn
port pillows and tissue holders
Leaving A Legacy is happy to accept your shipment when you are able to send it. Please include a Crafting Change Care Slip in your package and mail to:
Leaving A Legacy
461 Tennent Road
Manalapan, NJ 07726